In April, the Town of Oakville began phase one of the Lakeshore Road Reconstruction and Streetscape Project between Navy and Dunn Streets in Downtown Oakville. Phase one is more than halfway done, with an expected completion date of November 15. As we await the unveiling of the new streetscape, here are five reasons why Downtown Oakville remains a must-visit area during construction:
- Businesses are still open. With more than 200 fashion retailers, specialty shops, restaurants and more, Downtown Oakville remains a premier destination for shopping and dining. Even within the construction zone, you can easily access all of your favourite stores (and if you need assistance, one of our friendly pedestrian ambassadors can help).
- Enjoy free events all summer long. Join us in Towne Square for weekly outdoor movies, live music, yoga, kids’ activities and rotating art installations.
- Free parking on weekends. Municipal parking is free on Saturdays and Sundays and after 6 p.m. on weeknights. You can also get one hour of free parking on weekdays when you use the Honk mobile app with promo code DOWNTOWN.
- There’s more parking. A new municipal lot has opened at the old Fire Hall on Randall Street and pull-in parking has been added to Thomas, George and Dunn Streets, giving you more parking options than ever.
- Only half of the area is under construction. If you enjoy visiting Downtown Oakville for its quiet charm, not to worry; the three blocks between Dunn and Allan Streets are just as you remember them, meaning you can still enjoy a leisurely stroll through this area (after you’ve checked out the stores in the construction zone, of course).
Come and see for yourself! Click here for a full list of downtown Oakville retailers.